How do people get lost in their pain?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Pain has a subjective component and how we assess pain is completely individual. By not renouncing their control over it people get lost in their pain. "What can I do? My mother just died, and I'm devastated. I can't even get out of bed in the morning." In such a statement there seems to be a direct link between cause (the death of a loved one) and effect (depression). But, in fact, the trail followed between cause and effect isn't a straight line; the whole person enters the picture, with a wealth of factors from the past. It's as if pain enters a black box before we feel it, and in that box the pain is matched up with everything we are -- our whole history of emotions, memories, beliefs, and expectations. If you are self-aware, the black box isn't so sealed off and hidden. You know that you can affect what goes on inside it. But when we suffer, we victimize ourselves. In truth, suffering persists only to the extent that we allow ourselves to remain lost in our own creation.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How can increased awareness help me change my behavior?
Darren Treasure, PhDDarren Treasure, PhD
People who have been largely sedentary and unhealthy don’t all of a sudden wake-up one morning and i...
How do I put an end to struggle and conflict?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
The biblical injunction to turn the other cheek makes little senseto your ego. When it feels pushed,...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?