How do I find the stream of joy?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
In your own life there is a stream of joy that is elemental and unshakable.

My fancy was caught by an episode in the adventures of Carlos Castaneda when his master Don Juan sends him to a witch who has the ability to adopt the perception of any creature. The witch allows Castaneda to feel exactly like an earthworm, and what does he perceive? Enormous exhilaration and power. Instead of being the tiny blind creature that a worm appears to human eyes, Castaneda felt like a bulldozer pushing each grain of dirt aside like a boulder; he was mighty and strong. Instead of feeling like drudgery, the worm's digging was cause for elation, the elation of someone who could move mountains with his body.

A worm knows nothing but itself, so it cannot deviate from the stream of joy. You can disperse your awareness in every direction, and by doing so distract yourself from the stream. You won't really let go of your self-image and your restless mind until you feel, without question or doubt, a palpable joy in yourself. The renowned spiritual teacher J. Krishnamurti once made a passing comment I find very moving. People don't realize, he said, how important it is to wake up every morning with a song in your heart.

Krishnamurti was being metaphorical: The song stands for a sense o fjoy in existence, a joy that is free of any good or bad choices. To ask this of yourself is both the simplest thing and the most difficult. But don't let it slip your mind, no matter how complex your life becomes. Keep before you the vision of freeing your mind and expect that when you succeed at doing this, you will be greeted by a stream of joy.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What is the stable point of stability?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Since childhood, all of us have found a stable point through the ego. We imagine a fixed "I" who is ...
Why do I judge others?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Consider what happens when you judge someone: it makes anotherperson wrong. Someone else is wrong to...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?