How does fear relate to helplessness and vulnerability?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
For most of us, after an initial shock wears off, the mind tries to raise its old defenses, but often they don't work anymore. The impact of stress is too great; the emotions welling up refuse to be pushed down again. When you find that you have no defense against your own fear, you begin to feel vulnerable. In many ways it is healthy to feel vulnerable. It shows that you are not cut off, either from yourself or others. But the feeling of helplessness is extremely difficult to live with. This alone can raise dread, and the mind struggles to regain control.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What are the characteristics of a Type C personality?
Sudeepta Varma, MDSudeepta Varma, MD
Type C personalities tend to be very accommodating, passive and bookish; they avoid conflict, bottle...
As a nice girl, why do I need to balance my work and personal lives?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Reaching a balance encourages you to throw yourself into goal-oriented tasks and feel good about acc...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?