Can identifying with a false image of yourself cause suffering?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Identifying with a false image of who you are causes a great deal of suffering in other ways. Life never stops demanding more and more. The demands on our time, patience, ability, and emotions can become so overwhelming that admitting your inadequacy seems like the honest thing to do. Yet in a person's false self-image is buried the ugly history of everything that has gone wrong. "I won't," "I can't," and "I give up" all flow from Sanskrit's fourth klesha -- identifying with an imaginary self.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What does true transformation depend on?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
True transformation, in my view, depends on the emergence of the following properties as your person...
What is my authentic self?
Dr. Kathleen HallDr. Kathleen Hall
Your authentic Self is when you feel at one with your Self and your experience. You experience a...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?