Does my presence have an impact on the things around me?

Lisa Oz
Health Education

Each one of us has an impact, either positive or negative, on the people around us, on the human collective, and on the planet itself. It may be small, with most of it being invisible, but that does not mean it is insignificant. You must have heard of the "butterfly effect, " which refers to what scientists call "sensitive dependence on initial conditions. " According to this idea, ostensibly negligible differences at the start of a calculation can result in a dramatic divergence of the results. This effect was first demonstrated in the early 1960s by a meteorologist who rounded off his inputs to the nearest thousandth instead of entering the full six digits after the decimal point. Logically, so small a discrepancy should not have made much of a difference. (It was the equivalent of a flap of that butterfly's wing.) However, the actual effect of that tiny variance was enormous.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Should I start speaking up for myself at my workplace?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
I’m not saying that speaking up is always the best option. The idea is to have a range of choices an...
What is assertive communication?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Assertive communication means that both your needs and the needs of the other person are equally imp...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?