What is the difference between pain and suffering?

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Many people confuse pain with suffering. We have to realize, first of all, that pain is not the same as suffering. Left to itself, the body discharges pain spontaneously, letting go of it the moment that the underlying cause is healed. Suffering is pain that we hold on to. It comes from the mind's mysterious instinct to believe that pain is good, or that it cannot be escaped, or that the person deserves it. If none of these were present, suffering would not exist. It takes force of mind to create suffering, a blend of belief and perception that the one thinks one has no control over. But as inescapable as suffering may appear to be, what brings escape is not attacking the suffering itself but getting at the unreality that makes us cling to pain.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Why is it hard for me to say no at work?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
There are quite a number of them. Again, let me remind you that doing your fair share and even going...
Being a nice girl, why do I fail to take credit for my work?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
Women who are too nice have a tendency to feel grossly uncomfortable taking compliments and praise, ...
Why Does Death Scare Us?
Why Does Death Scare Us?