How can I defuse the notion of "the other?"

Deepak Chopra
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
I realize that for many people there is a huge barrier in the form of "the other," someone outside themselves who's evil is unquestioned. Sixty years ago "the other" lived in Germany and Japan; thirty years ago it lived in the Soviet Union; today it lives in the Middle East. Such people find evil easier to explain by never losing sight of "the other" -- without an enemy, they would have to face the presence of evil inside themselves. How much more convenient it is to know in advance that you are on the side of the angels! Seeing the shadow in yourself defuses the whole notion of "the other" and brings closer the statement of the Roman poet Terence: Nothing human is foreign to me.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
What are the benefits of self-compassion?
Ronald SiegelRonald Siegel
Research has revealed a number of benefits of self-compassion. Lower levels of anxiety and depre...
What is sympathetic concern?
Dr. Marsha LucasDr. Marsha Lucas
Sympathetic concern is the capacity to appraise the other's situation and to try to understand w...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?