Can self-compassion lead to self-indulgence?

Ronald Siegel
Many people have trouble with the concept of self-compassion. They fear it may lead to self-indulgence. They worry that if they are too easy on themselves they will fail to be motivated, or become lazy and less interested in achieving their goals. They think of it as "letting yourself off the hook." But this line of thinking has been shown to be incorrect. Instead, people who are self-compassionate are motivated to take on new challenges and learn new skills because these activities make them happy and because they are not afraid to fail.

For example, dieting is an effort at which people repeatedly fail and must motivate themselves to try again. A study showed how self-compassion can help people stick to their diets. Dieters who break their diet by eating too much often tend to blame themselves and eat even more afterward as a way of dealing with these bad feelings. But women in this study who learned to feel self-compassion were less likely to overeat in reaction to having gone off their diets. In a similar way, self-compassion can be useful in quitting smoking.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
Do I have to join the clash of egos?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
At the ego level there must be conflict, because "I" knows itselfby clashing against another "I." Th...
How can I control my niceness where my friends are concerned?
Karen R KoenigKaren R Koenig
To end your nice girl manifesto towards your friends:Extend yourself toward people you like and care...
How Should We Feel When We Think We Think About Death?