Can positive psychology help me handle difficult situations?

Ronald Siegel
Using positive psychology techniques can help you develop the resilience to handle difficulties more easily. If you develop the habit of counting your blessings, for example, you may be better able to appreciate the good in your life that remains even after a change in circumstances like a job loss or a death. Greater engagement in hobbies or nature and good relationships with family and friends can be sources of support in difficult times. In addition, knowing your strengths, another tenet of positive psychology, can help you develop realistic goals when your life changes. And helping others, even when you are struggling, can increase your positive feelings and help you gain perspective.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How do I break through the illusion of helplessness?
Sherrie Campbell, PhDSherrie Campbell, PhD
How we perceive our feelings of helplessness will be a major factor in overcoming it. When we move w...
What should I do when the acute stages of suffering pass?
Deepak ChopraDeepak Chopra
Once the acute stages of grief have passed, your sense of suffering may be subtle, like a gray fog r...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?