Are self-compassionate people more compassionate toward others?

Ronald Siegel
Researchers investigated whether self-compassionate people were more compassionate toward others. As it turns out, they were not. In fact, the research suggested that people who are self-critical are often more likely to be compassionate toward others and to subvert their own needs to the needs of others or acquiesce to others' demands. People who are self-compassionate, on the other hand, tend to find a compromise with others without fully subverting their own needs.

Continue Learning about Personality

All About You: Personality Trait or Disorder?
Is your personality trait idiosyncratic and somewhat endearing? Or is it so destructive that it changes the way you and others around you live? With ...
How does self-talk help develop a positive mental attitude?
Dr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhDDr. Michelle Cleere - Sharecare Fitness Expert, PhD
If you think positively, positive things generally happen and what follows is that you feel positive...
How can I set priorities if I am a perfectionist?
Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyDDr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD
If you are a perfectionist, setting priorities can be challenging because you can get stuck in the m...
How Can I Better Understand That Death Is Essential to Life?