What is the rate of incidence for personality disorders?

In the United States, approximately 9.1 percent of adults over the age of 18 have a diagnosable personality disorder. Although most personality disorders begin in childhood, the medical community is reluctant to diagnose these disorders in children. In many cases, symptoms can be part of the typical and sometimes temporary experimentation and development common to adolescents.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

Do personality disorders affect children differently than adults?
Although symptoms for personality disorders typically present in childhood and are often brought on ...
What is a neurotic personality?
A person with a neurotic personality exhibits characteristics of excessive worry and anxiety over no...
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?