What is narcissistic personality disorder?

Narcissistic personality disorder is part of the Cluster B group of personality disorders in the DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version 5, of the American Psychiatric Association). This group is characterized by dramatic, erratic, and overly emotional behavior and thinking. People with this disorder believe themselves superior to others and often exaggerate their own value and importance. They have a need for admiration and disregard the feelings and emotions of others. They feel they should be praised, should never have to wait, and have fantasies about success and achievement. They are sensitive to failure, criticism, and defeat, which often enrages or depresses them. Others often find them offensive, self-centered, and arrogant.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a persistent pattern of grandiosity, hypersensitivity to the evaluation of others, and lack of empathy that begins early in adulthood and is present in a variety of contexts.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

Do personality disorders affect children differently than adults?
Although symptoms for personality disorders typically present in childhood and are often brought on ...
What causes personality disorders?
The causes for personality disorders are believed to be genes and circumstances in one's environment...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?