What are effective ways to heal from a borderline personality disorder?

Paul  Hokemeyer, PhD
Marriage & Family Therapy

The two most effective ways to treat borderline personality disorder are through psychotherapy and medication. Psychotherapy is the most effective for the long haul as it helps a person deal with their emotional reactivity and gives them tools to manage their emotions. The specific modality that I recommend in this regard is called dialectal behavioral therapy. In addition, medications can be prescribed to help a person manage their impulsivity, intense mood swings and paralyzing emotions.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

How common is psychopathy?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
According to Robert Hare, the foremost researcher on psychopathy, 1% of the general population suffe...
How do I care for someone with a personality disorder?
If someone you care for has a personality disorder, it is possible they do not realize it. You may n...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?