What causes personality disorders?

The causes for personality disorders are believed to be genes and circumstances in one's environment. Genes are suspected as some think these disorders are inherited. Others feel it is the events and occurrences in one's life, particularly early childhood, that cause the development of these disorders. It also may be a combination of the two, in which one's environmental circumstances make a person who is susceptible, due to genetic makeup, more likely to develop one of these disorders.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

Do personality disorders affect children differently than adults?
Although symptoms for personality disorders typically present in childhood and are often brought on ...
What is a neurotic personality?
A person with a neurotic personality exhibits characteristics of excessive worry and anxiety over no...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?