What are the treatment options for personality disorders?

Treatment options for personality disorders depend on severity and type and usually include medication, therapy, and sometimes hospitalization for more severe disorders. Medications may be used to relieve some of the symptoms associated with your disorder. Psychotherapy is the prime method of treatment and deals with behavior modification and coping skills. Hospitalization is an option for severe disorders and is used when you cannot care for yourself or if you may harm yourself.

Personality disorders often are chronic, so treatment may take years or even your entire life. A team approach to treatment is often used. This means that a team of doctors, therapists, pharmacists, family members, and social workers will all play a role in treatment.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is a psychopath?
Joni JohnstonJoni Johnston
"Psychopath" is the term used to describe a person who has certain personality traits associated wit...
Do I just have an odd habit, or might I have a personality disorder?
Deborah DavisDeborah Davis
The following are general symptoms of a personality disorder. If you have any of these symptoms, ple...
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?