What is antisocial personality disorder?

Antisocial personality disorder is part of the Cluster B group of personality disorders. This group is characterized by dramatic, erratic, and overly emotional behavior and thinking. People with this disorder tend to be male. This disorder is characterized by complete disregard for others; lying and stealing; aggressive, hostile and violent behavior; and exploitation of others for material gain or personal gratification. Their childhood history likely involved emotional and physical neglect and abuse. They often are in legal trouble and may abuse drugs and alcohol. They may be prone to promiscuity, sexual deviation, and often fail to keep jobs.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is alexithymia?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Alexithymia literally means a lack of words for feelings. Alexithymia is not a disorder, but is ...
What is a neurotic personality?
A person with a neurotic personality exhibits characteristics of excessive worry and anxiety over no...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?