What is alexithymia?

Alexithymia literally means a lack of words for feelings. Alexithymia is not a disorder, but is seen as a trait. People who experience alexithymia are unable to recognize emotions and their subtleties and to understand or describe thoughts and feelings. Sometimes alexithymia makes it hard for them to tell a story or understand the emotional experience of others.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

Do personality disorders affect children differently than adults?
Although symptoms for personality disorders typically present in childhood and are often brought on ...
What causes personality disorders?
The causes for personality disorders are believed to be genes and circumstances in one's environment...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?