What are the symptoms of paranoid personality disorder (PPD)?

Mark Moronell, MD
Paranoid personality disorder causes a number of distressing symptoms, creating lifelong challenges for people affected by the condition. Some of the many symptoms that a person with paranoid personality disorder may experience include:

• A lack of trust in others
• Feeling suspicious of others' motives
• Appearing detached and unfriendly
• Being isolated from others, often by choice
• Denial of responsibility for one's actions
• Acting out in aggressive or abusive ways
• Lacking confidence

The Merck Manuals Online Medical Library does report that people with paranoid personality disorder are sometimes very effective and productive, due to their isolated nature. However, this disorder usually causes more problems than positive symptoms.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is the rate of incidence for personality disorders?
In the United States, approximately 9.1 percent of adults over the age of 18 have a diagnosable pers...
What is avoidant personality disorder?
Avoidant personality disorder is part of the Cluster C group of personality disorders. This group is...
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?