Why is schizoid personality disorder difficult to treat?

Mark Moronell, MD
Schizoid personality disorder is difficult to treat for a number of reasons. One reason is because the characteristics of personality disorders are often so ingrained in one's thoughts and behaviors that people have great difficulty changing. Also, those with schizoid personality disorder usually avoid social settings, including medical and mental health treatment centers. As a result, those with the disorder will probably not seek treatment unless forced to do so. A third reason why the disorder is hard to treat is that those affected may feel so numb inside that they do not feel a need to change their actions. Some people with schizoid personality disorder do seek mental health treatment, however, and medications and therapy can sometimes help them.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is the rate of incidence for personality disorders?
In the United States, approximately 9.1 percent of adults over the age of 18 have a diagnosable pers...
Do personality disorders affect children differently than adults?
Although symptoms for personality disorders typically present in childhood and are often brought on ...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?