What can I do to help control narcissistic personality disorder?

The following are ways to help control narcissistic personality disorder:

• Learn ways to tolerate emotional distress. Distress usually rises to a peak quickly when you're hurt or upset, but if you tolerate the distress and do absolutely nothing about it, the pain will gradually diminish. Practice making no other response to emotional distress than to just tolerate it.
  • Learn to fail. In other words, practice every day doing the things you find most difficult. Often the things we view as stupid are the things we find most difficult, so practice those things too. Learning that you can fail and survive is important.
  • Play games with people who are better than you, so you can learn how to lose without severe distress.
  • Identify the ways you put other people down. Ask other people to help you do this since it's often easier for other people to see your behavior more clearly than for you to see your own. Once you know exactly how you put other people down, stop doing it.

There will be times when symptoms become more pronounced. These times are often times of stress or anxiety and are called relapses. If signs of relapse appear, there should be a specific plan decided in advance for actions that can be taken (e.g. brief hospitalization, medication, increased structure, etc.)

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is alexithymia?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Alexithymia literally means a lack of words for feelings. Alexithymia is not a disorder, but is ...
What personality disorders mimic schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
Several personality disorders, called Cluster A personality disorders, share symptoms with schiz...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?