Can personality disorders be prevented?

Generally speaking, personality disorders cannot be prevented. No specific cause has been pinpointed for this set of disorders, although it is believed to be a combination of genes and environment. Traumatic childhood events or childhood abuse is often believed to be a contributing factor in the onset of a personality disorder. However, even trying to identify and intervene in the lives of at-risk children may not be enough to prevent onset. Getting diagnosed as soon as possible and starting an effective treatment plan is the best way to stop the worsening of symptoms.

Continue Learning about Personality Disorders

What is a personality disorder?
Personality disorders are a group of mental illnesses in which how you think about things, how your ...
Are personality disorders serious?
Yes, personality disorders can be serious. If allowed to go untreated, symptoms can be disruptive to...
What Brain Exercises Can Help People with Personality Disorders?
How Can I Set Priorities If I Am a Perfectionist?