Should I ask if a personal trainer has professional liability insurance?

Wendy Batts
Fitness
It is important to do your homework before hiring a personal trainer, including asking about liability insurance.  All certified personal trainers should have liability insurance whether on their own or working within a facility. Assuring that your trainer has liability insurance will help create a comfort level for both you and the trainer, so should an accident occur, you both will be covered.  Asking about liability insurance will also show you that the trainer has taken the proper precautions to support working with clients in a gym, at home or virtually.
Stanley C. Newhall, MD
General Practice
Either the personal trainer or his employer should have liability insurance (malpractice insurance.)  Not only does this make the trainer aware that he is responsible for acting reasonably, it can protect you from unexpected medical bills if the trainer or the facility cause an injury.
Of course.  Your personal trainer should have many things to them up.  If they are working for themselves they should have their own liability insurance or if they are working for a club that should be provided by the facility.  It never hurts to ask to see their qualifications.  This will just assure you that this trainer is responsible for his or her actions.  So anytime you want to hire a trainer liabilty insurance, personal training certifications, cpr and aed certification.  Some trainers have even went to school for their education as well.  So in all if your trainer has these for you feel comfortable that you will be getting the best service.

You absolutely should if the trainer is self-employed and not affiliated with any gym then he or she should have professional liability insurance that protects them as the trainer and you as the client if anything should happen during your session.

Professional insurance is just like life, home, health or car insurance. It protects you "just in case".

Professional liability insurance covers the personal trainer, and sometimes the facility in the case that an injury or other mishap occurs. Although most personal trainers are required to carry professional liability, it is always a good practice to ask. Make sure they’re covered, either through their training facility, or by themselves.

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Yes, you should definitely ask if a prospective personal trainer has professional liability insurance. This matters because it shows a higher level of professionalism and protects you in case you get hurt and it’s the trainer’s fault.

The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Personal Trainers and Fitness

How do I know my telephone coach is being effective?
A good measure of effective telephone coaching is results. You should experience results and these r...
How can I get the most from a live training session?
You get out of a session what you put into it, so if you are committed your goals, you must put in t...
What should I tell a personal trainer about myself?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
You can help your trainer to help you by putting some thought into what kind of fitness goals you wa...
Why doesn't my high school have an athletic trainer?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Unless you live in the State of Hawaii, certified athletic trainers (ATCs), medical experts in preve...