What are the typical hourly rates and discounts of a personal trainer?

Wendy Batts
Fitness

Hourly rates for personal training depend on several different factors including the trainer’s education/certification, location, and experience.  On average, trainers who have an accredited certification and years of experience, charge between $50-100 for a one hour, private session.  If these rates seem a little steep, consider speaking to the trainer about group package options (training one or more people at the same time), 30 minute sessions, online training and/or purchasing sessions in bulk.  These options usually bring down the price per session making it easier for you to get the assistance that you are looking for.

Typical hourly rates and discounts personal trainers provide varies by location, experience, club, etc. There is no typical hourly rate; it will differ everywhere you go. If you’re shopping for the best rate, check around and see what the average is for hour long sessions in your area.

Dede Bonner
Health Education

Rates vary according to geographic location and a trainer’s qualifications, ranging between $50 and $100 or more per hour. Keep in mind that the cheapest trainer in town may not be able to help you reach your goals. Some offer a free trial session or other attractive discounts.

The 10 Best Questions for Living with Fibromyalgia: The Script You Need to Take Control of Your Health

A good mind knows the right answers...but a great mind knows the right questions. And never are the Best Questions more important than after the life-altering diagnosis of fibromyalgia -- or when you...

Continue Learning about Personal Trainers and Fitness

What should I do if I can't afford a personal trainer?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
Take classes, most gyms have amazing classes. Or find a trainer who is with a client and watch what ...
Is online coaching affordable?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Yes, it is an affordable alternative to in-person coaching or training.  Learn more. 
How often should I see a personal trainer?
Start heavy on instruction with a personal trainer, with a number of sessions in a row, and then tap...
How do I choose a personal trainer?
Mr. Rich Kevan, CPTMr. Rich Kevan, CPT
You should choose based on your needs and their specialties first. You don’t want to hire a sports t...