How can I get the most from a live training session?

You get out of a session what you put into it, so if you are committed your goals, you must put in the work. You can get the most out of your live training session by finding a trainer who can motivate you, hold you accountable for making the right choices (when you are not in the gym), and has the education to design exercise programs that are based on your specific goals. Here are some suggestions that will help you get the most out of each session.  Training programs can vary and are based on the information that you provide to your trainer during your initial assessments.  During this time, discuss with your trainer what your exercise sessions will entail and ask for the reasons "why" so that you have a clear picture of what you will be expected to do.  Also, if you really want to get the most out of your session, you need to prepare for it.  When you expend energy by exercising, you need to consume extra energy to fuel the activity. How much you should eat and at what time of day depends on the type and duration of your workout, as well as how much you have eaten throughout the day. Eating and drinking water are your responsibility and can easily enhance your exercise sessions, along with incorporating daily stretching routines both at home and at the gym.  Your muscles become overactive (tight) throughout the day from everyday stress/activities of life which could negativity affect your training session.   For these reasons, consider foam rolling (a self- massage technique that uses a foam roller to roll out the 'knots' in the muscle) and static stretching.  Static stretching can help decrease muscle tightness by restoring proper length back to the muscle that is being stretched.  For instance, if your calves are tight then you should foam roll this specific area, searching for painful (tender) spots.  Once you find a spot, hold that area until the pain is reduced.  On average, you should stay on the tender spot for 30 seconds and then move on to the next tender area.  Once you have completed foam rolling the calve complex, you should static stretch your calves by holding the standing calve stretch for approximately 30 seconds.  These are only a few suggestions, but trusting your trainer, properly preparing your body, and restoring your muscle tissues will help you accomplish your goals and get the most out of each training session.

Continue Learning about Personal Trainers and Fitness

Is virtual coaching expensive?
Virtual coaching is usually less expensive than "real life" personal training.  Virtual coaching se...
How do I choose a personal trainer?
Mr. JC PinzonMr. JC Pinzon
Check his credentials and experience. Try at least three sessions with a trainer before deciding. Th...
How am I held accountable if I'm doing online coaching?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
There are many ways you can be held accountable doing online training. For example, if you were one ...
What is the primary role of a health and wellness coach?
Health and wellness coaches are responsible for contacting individuals who are eligible for the prog...