What increases my risk for peritonitis?

You are at increased risk for peritonitis if you have had the disease before, are on dialysis, have a chronic liver or kidney disease such as cirrhosis, hepatitis, or kidney failure, or have other conditions affecting the internal abdominal area. Sometimes an injury to your abdomen can cause the kind of fluid buildup that makes you vulnerable to peritonitis. Injuries can also result in tissue tears, leading to the spread of bacteria. Diseases like appendicitis, ulcers, or diverticulitis can also increase your risk for peritonitis. Just as with injury, bacteria spread easily when body tissue is ruptured or damaged.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

What do I need to know about caring for someone with peritoneal diseases?
Caring for someone with a peritoneal disease involves different practices depending on the disease. ...
Should I be worried about peritoneal diseases?
You should be worried about peritoneal diseases if you are experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, an...
How common are peritoneal diseases?
Some peritoneal diseases are more common than others. For example, peritoneal mesothelioma is a very...
How do peritoneal diseases affect the body?
Peritoneal diseases can affect the body in a variety of different ways. Fluid accumulation in the pe...