How do peritoneal diseases affect the body?

Peritoneal diseases can affect the body in a variety of different ways. Fluid accumulation in the peritoneal cavity usually accompanies peritoneal diseases. Such build up causes the abdomen to swell. This swelling can put pressure on a person's lungs, causing shortness of breath or difficulty breathing. If not treated, infections in the fluid can lead to infections in the bloodstream and even death. Many peritoneal diseases are related to liver or kidney failure, or even cancer in the abdominal organs.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about peritoneal diseases?
Talk to your doctor about peritoneal diseases if you are experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, or d...
Is there a cure for peritoneal diseases?
Certain peritoneal diseases are curable and others are not. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), which...
What increases my risk for peritoneal diseases?
Because there are many different kinds of peritoneal diseases, there are also many different risk fa...
How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose peritoneal diseases?
Every peritoneal disease is different, and all come with their own set of concerns. However, the pre...