How common are peritoneal diseases?

Some peritoneal diseases are more common than others. For example, peritoneal mesothelioma is a very rare cancer. It is currently found in between 2,000 to 3,000 people in the United States each year. Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), on the other hand, is much more common. In fact, PID is thought to be the leading preventable cause of female infertility in the United States.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

What lifestyle changes should I make if I have a peritoneal disease?
Peritoneal diseases all affect the body differently. However, many of them present with excess fluid...
How do medications treat peritoneal diseases?
Medications can be used to treat some peritoneal diseases. Ascites, a build up of fluid in the perit...
Should I talk to my doctor about peritoneal diseases?
Talk to your doctor about peritoneal diseases if you are experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, or d...
Who is most at risk of peritoneal diseases?
The risks for peritoneal diseases depend on the diseases themselves. Each disease comes with its own...