What do I need to know about caring for someone with peritonitis?

Peritonitis must be treated immediately by qualified medical professionals. If you suspect someone has peritonitis, the person should go to the emergency room or call emergency services for help. You should not attempt to treat suspected peritonitis on your own or wait for it to disappear. It is important that once peritonitis is treated the patient follows the doctor's directions. This will help ensure that the infection goes away and that the cause of the infection is addressed. As with all courses of antibiotic treatment, patients need a full course of antibiotics in order to prevent the infection from recurring or becoming resistant to the drug.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

Should I be worried about peritoneal diseases?
You should be worried about peritoneal diseases if you are experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, an...
What are the symptoms of peritoneal diseases?
Because there are some many different peritoneal diseases, they can have a variety of different symp...
Is there a vaccine for peritoneal diseases?
Because there are many different kinds of peritoneal diseases, there is no single vaccine that can p...
What is the best way to prevent peritoneal diseases?
Some peritoneal diseases are easier to prevent than others. One of the complications of typhoid ...