What do I need to know about caring for someone with peritoneal diseases?

Caring for someone with a peritoneal disease involves different practices depending on the disease. However, keeping an eye out for abdominal swelling or pain is always important.

Caring for a person with ascites means making sure they adhere to their low-salt diet and stay in bed for however long the doctor has prescribed. Read the food labels on all foods you'll be serving to your loved one to make sure there is little to no salt. With ascites, fluid will continue to rebuild in the peritoneal cavity unless a person remains on their strict diet and takes diuretic medication. So, in addition to preparing low-salt meals and making sure your loved one takes their medications, watch out for any increased abdominal swelling or bloating.

If you are caring for someone with typhoid fever, another peritoneal disease, be sure to keep all their personal bedding, towels, utensils, and other items separate from your own. Continue to disinfect these items by washing them in hot, soapy water often.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

Are there alternative treatments for peritoneal diseases?
There are alternative treatments available for some peritoneal diseases. Combination therapies a...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have a peritoneal disease?
Peritoneal diseases all affect the body differently. However, many of them present with excess fluid...
How can I correct peritoneal diseases?
There are many different peritoneal diseases, and they all affect the body differently. Therefore, t...
Is there a vaccine for peritoneal diseases?
Because there are many different kinds of peritoneal diseases, there is no single vaccine that can p...