Can peritonitis be prevented?

Certain types of peritonitis can be prevented. For example, patients undergoing dialysis can lower their risk of peritonitis by keeping the dialysis area clean and making sure to follow hygienic procedures. These procedures include washing hands, using antiseptic around the catheter, and being careful not to use supplies that are no longer sterile. For spontaneous peritonitis caused by a buildup of fluid in the abdomen, it is less likely that infection can be prevented. Secondary peritonitis follows a primary illness, so it can't always be prevented either.

Continue Learning about Peritoneal Diseases

How do I manage my peritoneal diseases on a daily basis?
Managing your peritoneal diseases on a daily basis depends on the kind of peritoneal disease you hav...
Should I be worried about peritoneal diseases?
You should be worried about peritoneal diseases if you are experiencing abdominal pain, bloating, an...
What are the symptoms of peritoneal diseases?
Because there are some many different peritoneal diseases, they can have a variety of different symp...
Are there alternative treatments for peritoneal diseases?
There are alternative treatments available for some peritoneal diseases. Combination therapies a...