When is aggressive periodontitis serious?

Aggressive periodontitis is an especially progressive form of gum disease, which causes inflammation and infection around the tooth. Aggressive periodontitis can be diagnosed at a very early age, sometimes as young as 3 or 4 years old, and can eventually lead to tooth loss. Immune deficiencies and a genetic link are possible causes of this type of periodontitis. The focus of aggressive periodontitis tends to be on treating the infection and inflammation, usually with a combination of specialized professional cleanings, antibiotics, and surgery.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to manage your periodontal disease on a daily basis is with good self-care; tooth brush...
Is periodontitis serious?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Advanced gum disease is called periodontitis. It can be very serious. That's because chronic periodo...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Gum disease is generally not curable but it is both treatable and more importantly, preventable. The...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile