What are the symptoms of chronic periodontitis?

Symptoms of chronic periodontitis gradually worsen with time and almost always include inflammation. However, symptoms may be mild or entirely absent during the early stages of the condition. Symptoms of chronic periodontitis include the following:

• inflamed gums;
  • odorous breath;
  • unpleasant taste;
  • bleeding, receding, or sensitive gums;
  • loose teeth;
  • appearance of lengthening of teeth because of gum recession;
  • changes in the placement of your teeth when you bite.
Advanced gum disease is called periodontitis and its symptoms include loose teeth, inflamed or bleeding gums, and bad breath. Over time, periodontitis can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe. If it does, your teeth will feel loose and start moving around in your mouth. This is the most common form of periodontitis in adults but can occur at any age. It usually gets worse slowly, but there can be periods of rapid progression.

Aggressive periodontitis is a highly destructive form of periodontal disease that occurs in patients who are otherwise healthy. Common features include rapid loss of tissue and bone and may occur in some areas of the mouth, or in the entire mouth. If you suspect you have periodontitis, schedule a dental appointment right away.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The only type of periodontal disease that can be cured is gingivitis, which can be reversed with tre...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile