How often should I see a dentist if I have periodontitis?

Talk to your dentist about what is best for you. Depending on how advanced your periodontitis is, you may need to see your dentist very often. Even once your periodontitis is treated, you should still see your dentist as often as they recommend for regular cleanings and dental examinations.

To treat your periodontitis, your dentist may recommend several professional cleanings or scaling to remove plaque deposits under your gum. You may experience some discomfort, bleeding, and tenderness after your treatment, but it will soon subside. Follow your dentist's oral hygiene recommendations, including scheduled visits, to resolve your periodontitis.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Does gum disease lead to bone loss?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
How should I care for someone with periodontitis?
If a child or anyone else in your care has periodontitis, or gum disease, make sure he or she: s...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile