What lifestyle changes should I make if I have aggressive periodontitis?

Although you cannot control the genetic factors that are associated with aggressive periodontitis, you can make lifestyle changes that will help you to successfully manage the condition. Good oral hygiene will control plaque buildup and bacterial infections. This includes brushing twice daily and after every meal, flossing daily, and rinsing daily with a mouthwash. Healthy diet, including limiting intake of sugary foods, will prevent tooth decay. Drinking adequate water will increase your saliva production and thus control bacterial infection.

A major risk factor for periodontitis is smoking, with risk increasing in proportion to the number of cigarettes smoked each day. Nicotine use can cause bone loss regardless of the existence of periodontitis, but the combination of nicotine and periodontitis can profoundly impact an individual's health. Smokers are up to 10 times more likely than nonsmokers to harbor periodontitis-causing bacteria. Fortunately, upon quitting, former smokers can significantly improve their recovery of periodontal health.
Several lifestyle changes can help aggressive periodontitis, a condition that causes your gums to quickly detach from the gums and can result in tooth loss. Most importantly, improve your oral hygiene by brushing twice a day, flossing daily, and using a fluoride mouth rinse. See your dentist regularly to manage your aggressive periodontitis. In addition, stop smoking and avoid eating sugary foods, as they can aggravate the condition.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
The only type of periodontal disease that can be cured is gingivitis, which can be reversed with tre...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile