Does chronic periodontitis affect children differently than adults?

As age increases, risk of developing chronic periodontitis increases. As is suggested by its alternative name, adult periodontitis, chronic periodontitis is most prevalent in adults. However, although rare, the condition can affect children and adolescents. Whereas older adults tend to harbor periodontitis-causing bacteria, children typically lack this key element in developing the condition.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How common is periodontitis?
Periodontitis is very common. It is particularly common in adults who have had or do have gingivitis...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile