Should I talk to my doctor about my chronic periodontitis symptoms?

You should discuss you chronic periodontitis symptoms with your doctor. Diagnosis of chronic periodontitis is simple, and with a number of effective treatments available, early diagnosis will help to limit the impact of the condition on your health. If treated, the prognosis is good for individuals for whom the condition is localized. If left untreated, the condition can lead to such complications as tooth loss, stroke, heart disease, and respiratory problems as the bacteria that triggers periodontitis enter the bloodstream and affects other functions of the body.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How is periodontal disease (gum disease) treated?
Gum disease in diabetics should be aggressively treated because of the risk of early tooth loss. Bru...
Can gums recede in a healthy mouth?
Yasaman S. Roland, DDSYasaman S. Roland, DDS
Yes. If one has a misaligned bite, trauma from the bite can injure the teeth and the surrounding tis...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile