Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?

If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a form of periodontal disease. Talk to your dentist right away if you notice these symptoms. Periodontitis occurs when plaque by-products lead to the destruction of the tissues that anchor teeth in the bone. As the disease progresses, pockets form and allow more plaque to collect below the gum line. Tooth roots are exposed and may become at risk for decay and are sensitive to cold and touch. In advanced periodontitis, the teeth lose more support as the disease continues to destroy the periodontal ligament and bone. Unless treated, the affected teeth frequently become loose and may fall out or require removal by a dentist.

If you notice any of the symptoms of periodontitis, you should see your dentist. Ideally, if you are seeing your dentist at regular intervals for cleanings, the periodontitis can be caught early. Often, if you are exhibiting symptoms or experiencing pain, periodontitis has advanced a fair bit.

You should talk to your doctor or dentist about periodontitis, or inflammation and infection of the tissues and bones around your teeth, as soon as you notice symptoms. If your gums are puffy and dusky red and bleed easily, you should talk to your doctor or dentist. The sooner you do, the better your chances of reversing damage from periodontitis. Once you lose support around a tooth, you could lose the tooth. Periodontitis is the main cause of tooth loss in adults.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Does chronic periodontitis cause heart disease?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
Many studies have looked at the link between periodontitis and heart disease. While there is not eno...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile