Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?

If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a form of periodontal disease. Talk to your dentist right away if you notice these symptoms. Periodontitis occurs when plaque by-products lead to the destruction of the tissues that anchor teeth in the bone. As the disease progresses, pockets form and allow more plaque to collect below the gum line. Tooth roots are exposed and may become at risk for decay and are sensitive to cold and touch. In advanced periodontitis, the teeth lose more support as the disease continues to destroy the periodontal ligament and bone. Unless treated, the affected teeth frequently become loose and may fall out or require removal by a dentist.
RealAge
Administration
You should talk to your doctor or dentist about periodontitis, or inflammation and infection of the tissues and bones around your teeth, as soon as you notice symptoms. If your gums are puffy and dusky red and bleed easily, you should talk to your doctor or dentist. The sooner you do, the better your chances of reversing damage from periodontitis. Once you lose support around a tooth, you could lose the tooth. Periodontitis is the main cause of tooth loss in adults.

If you notice any of the symptoms of periodontitis, you should see your dentist. Ideally, if you are seeing your dentist at regular intervals for cleanings, the periodontitis can be caught early. Often, if you are exhibiting symptoms or experiencing pain, periodontitis has advanced a fair bit.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

Periodontitis

If you leave gingivitis untreated, it may spread to the ligaments and bones below the gums, becoming periodontitis. The bacterial inflammation causes teeth to lose support. Eventually the teeth will become loose and fall out. Some...

times the infection becomes so severe that it can cause a tooth abscess. This can be quite painful. Antibiotics can help, and treatment for the general condition includes cleaning and improved oral hygiene.