How does necrotizing periodontitis affect children differently?

Necrotizing periodontitis is an acute infection of the gum tissue that can damage gums, bone, and connective tissue. If not treated, the infection can spread to the cheeks and jaws, causing extensive damage. Necrotizing periodontitis occurs mainly in adults. It is usually only seen in children who have severe system problems, such as malnutrition or a weakened immune system. The signs of necrotizing periodontitis are the same in adults and children and include bleeding, swollen gums, gum recession, pain, and bad breath.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile