Does necrotizing periodontitis affect children differently than adults?

In children with necrotizing periodontitis, the neutrophils, a kind of white blood cell that normally fights this infection, do not work properly. In children who have not yet reached puberty, the gum infection can attack the primary teeth only or both the primary and permanent teeth. In adolescents and young adults with necrotizing periodontitis, there is little or no evidence of inflammation or tartar buildup but rapid loss of bone as the infection attacks the first molar and incisors.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
What is periodontitis?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Periodontitis is the breakdown of the bone and soft tissue surrounding the teeth. It is caused by th...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile