How does necrotizing periodontitis affect the body?

Necrotizing periodontitis occurs when the normal bacteria in our mouth rapidly overgrow and form a bacteria-laden biofilm on the teeth and gums. The body mounts a defense against the now-harmful microorganisms, using white blood cells and antibodies to destroy the invaders. In the process, certain substances are released that can also cause damage to the gums and teeth. Pockets of infection appear in the mouth, and the gum tissue between the teeth erodes, allowing the bacteria to get deeper into the gums. The connective tissue and bone that hold the teeth in place are destroyed causing tooth loss, spontaneous bleeding, and extremely bad breath.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
How common is periodontitis?
Periodontitis is very common. It is particularly common in adults who have had or do have gingivitis...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile