How do I manage my necrotizing periodontitis on a daily basis?

Individuals with necrotizing periodontitis should follow the doctor's instructions for oral hygiene. The pain will probably prevent brushing and flossing for a while, but as soon as the pain subsides, brushing, preferably after each meal, and daily flossing are essential. Taking the pain medication recommended by the doctor will help you be able to eat and practice oral hygiene more quickly. Use rinses as instructed and eat a healthy diet with plenty of water to avoid dehydration. Keep your appointments so the infection will not reoccur and cause more damage to your teeth and the connective tissues that hold them in place.

To manage necrotizing periodontitis on a daily basis, take all prescribed medications and follow your dentist's instructions on caring for your teeth and gums. Necrotizing periodontitis is a serious form of gum disease that causes pain, damage to the gums, and other health problems. If you have necrotizing periodontitis, your dentist will likely give you a prescription for antibiotics. You may also be instructed to use a special mouth rinse and take other medications, such as anti-fungal drugs. Follow your dentist's instructions closely when using each of these medications. Your dentist will also advise you on how to properly brush and floss your teeth to help prevent the disease.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
What are the symptoms of an abscessed tooth?
Dr. Devon V. Berry, DMDDr. Devon V. Berry, DMD
Symptoms of an abscessed tooth include: tooth pain when exposed to heat throbbing tooth pain t...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile