Can gums recede in a healthy mouth?

Yes. If one has a misaligned bite, trauma from the bite can injure the teeth and the surrounding tissues such as the gums. Over time, the fibers that attach the gums to the teeth let go and the gums recede. You may even notice the exposed root surfaces from the recession to start chipping as well.

Even if you have a healthy mouth and practice good oral hygiene, you can still develop gum recession. Factors other than poor oral hygiene can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth. Some of these factors include trauma or brushing too hard.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
The best way to manage your periodontal disease on a daily basis is with good self-care; tooth brush...
How should I care for someone with periodontitis?
If a child or anyone else in your care has periodontitis, or gum disease, make sure he or she: s...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile