How does periodontitis affect the body?

Periodontitis is a disease that causes the loss of both gums and bone in your mouth. As your gums recede and bone loss occurs, your teeth may become loose and even fall out. Additionally, the bacteria that causes periodontitis can lead to artery disease and even stroke.

Periodontitis, or gum disease, can affect your body as well as your mouth. The condition causes your gums to become infected and pull away from your teeth,  increasing the chances that your teeth may fall out. Bacteria can flow from unhealthy gums into your bloodstream, traveling to your heart, lungs, and other organs. Inflammation of the heart can cause heart disease, coronary artery disease, and stroke. In addition, periodontitis can worsen diabetes.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile