How do other illnesses affect periodontitis?

Gingivitis is another gum disease that is more common and less serious than periodontitis. Gingivitis is the first step on the way to periodontitis. If you have gingivitis, follow your dentist's recommendation for avoiding periodontitis.

Other diseases may worsen periodontitis (gum disease). People with diabetes are more susceptible to infection, and this includes infection of their gums. Osteoporosis (a condition in which bones become brittle) may increase the risk of bone loss in people with periodontitis. Diseases that cause inflammation elsewhere in the body may worsen the inflammation involved in periodontitis. In many cases, these relationships go in both directions, with periodontitis worsening other diseases as well as being worsened by them. 

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
The only type of periodontal disease that can be cured is gingivitis, which can be reversed with tre...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile