Does chronic periodontitis cause heart disease?

Carol Jahn
Dentist
Many studies have looked at the link between periodontitis and heart disease. While there is not enough evidence to say that periodontitis causes heart disease, what has been found is that people with periodontal disease often have heart disease and vice versa. The underlying cause is unknown. It could be that there is a similar factor that causes both diseases. We simply don't know at the present time.

What is important is that the two diseases occur together more often than from simple coincidence. So, if you have periodontitis, it would be a wise precaution to have your cardiac health evaluated. And if you have heart disease, please see your dentist to evaluate your periodontal health.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
What is periodontitis?
Is periodontitis serious?
Advanced gum disease is called periodontitis. It can be very serious. That's because chronic periodo...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile