What do I need to know about caring for someone with periodontitis?

If you are caring for someone with periodontitis, make sure the person is practicing good oral hygiene. Good oral hygiene includes brushing twice a day, flossing regularly, and using mouth wash. Someone with periodontitis should also see their dentist regularly for cleanings and treatments.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is there a cure for gum disease?
The only type of periodontal disease that can be cured is gingivitis, which can be reversed with tre...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile