How should I care for a child with aggressive periodontitis?

Since early detection and treatment are crucial factors in controlling progression of aggressive periodontitis, it is important to schedule regular dental exams for your child. In some cases, such as in juvenile periodontitis, symptoms are mild or absent and so may only be detected during a routine dental exam.

After a child has been diagnosed with aggressive periodontitis, scheduling dental exams for your child is important so that a doctor can monitor the condition and recommend treatment options. Teaching your child about good oral hygiene and healthy diet will help your child prevent the development of aggressive periodontitis, or manage the condition if it has already been diagnoses.
To care for a child with aggressive periodontitis, the first step is to place her in the care of a board-certified periodontist. A periodontist is a dentist who specializes in treating gum diseases such as aggressive periodontitis; ask your family dentist for a recommendation. A periodontist uses techniques such as scaling and root planing to treat the condition. He or she will also likely prescribe antibiotic medicine. Make sure your child takes all prescribed medications and brushes her teeth and flosses daily.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
Read More
How should I care for someone with periodontitis?
If a child or anyone else in your care has periodontitis, or gum disease, make sure he or she: s...
More Answers
What are the symptoms of an abscessed tooth?
Dr. Devon V. Berry, DMDDr. Devon V. Berry, DMD
Symptoms of an abscessed tooth include: tooth pain when exposed to heat throbbing tooth pain t...
More Answers
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.