Can necrotizing periodontitis have any complications?

Complications from necrotizing periodontitis include difficulty eating and swallowing, pain, spontaneous bleeding, loss of teeth, loss of jaw bone, and eroded gum tissue. This serious gum infection can spread if left untreated and can result in severe damage to the mouth. Because of the dead tissue in the mouth and the pockets of infection, the individual will have extremely foul breath.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
What are the symptoms of an abscessed tooth?
Dr. Devon V. Berry, DMDDr. Devon V. Berry, DMD
Symptoms of an abscessed tooth include: tooth pain when exposed to heat throbbing tooth pain t...
Should I talk to my doctor about my periodontitis symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile