How does brushing too hard actually lead to gum recession?

Even when you use a soft-bristle brush, you can wear away the root dentine by scrubbing too hard. This vigorous brushing over time can expose the inner nerve part of the tooth.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
How do I manage my periodontitis on a daily basis?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you notice swelling and redness in the tissues around your teeth, you may have periodontitis, a f...
Is periodontitis serious?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Yes -- Periodontal disease can lead to tooth loss and has also been associated with an increased ris...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile