Can my body weight contribute to gum recession?

I know you are going to find this amazing, but according to the Journal of Periodontology, researchers found that subjects that kept a healthy weight and had regular high levels of fitness also had a lower incidence of severe gum disease. The study continues to show that there is a correlation between overall health and oral health according to Dr. Samuel Low, President of the American Academy of Periodontology.
Maintaining a good weight and staying physically fit lowers your risk of periodontitis, a cause of gum recession. In a study published in the Journal of Periodontology, researchers found that people with the low body mass and high levels of fitness had lower rates of severe periodontitis.

Continue Learning about Periodontitis

What Is Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
“A chronic infection leads to chronic inflammation and an immune system that’s in overdrive all the time,” says Nancy Newhouse, DDS, MS, a board-certi...
What is periodontitis?
Steven M. Vanscoyoc, DDSSteven M. Vanscoyoc, DDS
Periodontitis is the breakdown of the bone and soft tissue surrounding the teeth. It is caused by th...
How is periodontal disease (gum disease) treated?
Gum disease in diabetics should be aggressively treated because of the risk of early tooth loss. Bru...
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile
Walk Your Way to a Nicer Smile